Listen and repeat. Pay attention to the syllable with the primary stress. (Láº¯ng nghe vÃ láº·p láº¡i. ChÃº Ã½ Äáº¿n Ã¢m tiáº¿t cÃ³ trá»ng Ã¢m chÃnh.)
Guide to answer
1. appli‘cation /ËÃ¦p.lÉªËkeÉª.ÊÉn/
2. communi‘cation /kÉËmjuË.nÉªËkeÉª.ÊÉn/
3. eco‘nomic /ËiË.kÉËnÉm.Éªk/
4. expla‘nation /Ëek.splÉËneÉª.ÊÉn/
5. popu‘lation /ËpÉp.jÉËleÉª.ÊÉn/
6. inde‘pendent /ËÉªn.dÉªËpen.dÉnt/
7. possi‘bility /ËpÉs.ÉËbÉªl.É.ti/
8. partici‘pation /pÉËËtÉªs.ÉªËpeÉª.ÊÉn/
Listen and the primary stress in the words in bold. Then practise saying the sentences.
1. Viet Nam is a member of different international organisations.
2. Our responsibility is to help the most disadvantaged children.
3. This organisation aims to promote environmental profection.
4. UNICEF aims to create educational opportunities for all children.
Guide to answer
1. Viet Nam is a member of different international /ËÉªn.tÉËnÃ¦Ê.Én.Él/ organisations /ËÉË.É¡Én.aÉªËzeÉª.ÊÉn/.
2. Our responsibility /rÉªËspÉn.sÉªËbÉªl.É.ti/ is to help the most disadvantaged /ËdÉªs.ÉdËvÉËn.tÉªdÊd/ children.
3. This organisation /ËÉË.É¡Én.aÉªËzeÉª.ÊÉn/ aims to promote environmental /ÉªnËvaÉª.rÉnËmen.tÉl/ profection.
4. UNICEF aims to create educational /ËedÊ.ÊËkeÉª.ÊÉn.Él/ opportunities /ËÉp.ÉËtÊuË.nÉ.ti/ for all children.
1. Viá»t Nam lÃ thÃ nh viÃªn cá»§a cÃ¡c tá» chá»©c quá»c táº¿ khÃ¡c nhau.
2. TrÃ¡ch nhiá»m cá»§a chÃºng tÃ´i lÃ giÃºp Äá»¡ nhá»¯ng tráº» em cÃ³ hoÃ n cáº£nh khÃ³ khÄn nháº¥t.
3. Tá» chá»©c nÃ y nháº±m má»¥c ÄÃch thÃºc Äáº©y khÃ¡m phÃ¡ mÃ´i trÆ°á»ng.
4. UNICEF nháº±m táº¡o cÆ¡ há»i giÃ¡o dá»¥c cho táº¥t cáº£ tráº» em.
Match the words in bold with their meanings in the box. (Ná»i cÃ¡c tá»« in Äáºm vá»i nghÄ©a cá»§a chÃºng trong Ã´ trá»ng.)
B. is pleased to accept
C. go into
1. Because we are a member of the WTO, our goods can enter more markets.
2. Organising diferent festivals helps Viet Nam promote local custorns and values.
3. UNICEF particularly aims to support the most disadvantaged children.
4. UNDP has committed to provide Viet Nam with technical support and advice.
5. Viet Nam welcomes foreign businesses who want to invest in the economy.
Guide to answer
1. VÃ¬ chÃºng tÃ´i lÃ thÃ nh viÃªn cá»§a WTO, hÃ ng hÃ³a cá»§a chÃºng tÃ´i cÃ³ thá» vÃ o nhiá»u thá» trÆ°á»ng hÆ¡n.
2. Tá» chá»©c cÃ¡c lá» há»i khÃ¡c nhau giÃºp Viá»t Nam quáº£ng bÃ¡ cÃ¡c giÃ¡ trá» vÃ di sáº£n Äá»a phÆ°Æ¡ng.
3. UNICEF Äáº·c biá»t hÆ°á»ng tá»i há» trá»£ nhá»¯ng tráº» em cÃ³ hoÃ n cáº£nh khÃ³ khÄn nháº¥t.
4. UNDP ÄÃ£ cam káº¿t cung cáº¥p cho Viá»t Nam sá»± há» trá»£ vÃ tÆ° váº¥n ká»¹ thuáºt.
5. Viá»t Nam hoan nghÃªnh cÃ¡c doanh nghiá»p nÆ°á»c ngoÃ i muá»n Äáº§u tÆ° vÃ o ná»n kinh táº¿.
Complete the following sentences, using the correct forms of the words in bold in 1. (HoÃ n thÃ nh cÃ¡c cÃ¢u sau, sá» dá»¥ng cÃ¡c dáº¡ng ÄÃºng cá»§a cÃ¡c tá»« in Äáºm trong 1.)
1. Joining the WTO has helped Viet Nam _____ its economic growth.
2. Viet Nam _____ foreign investors in various parts of the economy.
3. We _____ to use the donations effectively. We have signed an agreement on this.
4. This environmenial orgarisation _____ to protect local forests. It has a detailed plan to achieve this.
5. We need to improve the quality of goods and services so that they can _____ new markets.
Guide to answer
1. Joining the WTO has helped Viet Nam promote its economic growth.
2. Viet Nam welcomes foreign investors in various parts of the economy.
3. We commits to use the donations effectively. We have signed an agreement on this.
4. This environmenial orgarisation aims to protect local forests. It has a detailed plan to achieve this.
5. We need to improve the quality of goods and services so that they can enter new markets.
1. Gia nháºp WTO ÄÃ£ giÃºp Viá»t Nam thÃºc Äáº©y tÄng trÆ°á»ng kinh táº¿.
2. Viá»t Nam hoan nghÃªnh cÃ¡c nhÃ Äáº§u tÆ° nÆ°á»c ngoÃ i trong nhiá»u lÄ©nh vá»±c khÃ¡c nhau cá»§a ná»n kinh táº¿.
3. ChÃºng tÃ´i cam káº¿t sá» dá»¥ng cÃ¡c khoáº£n ÄÃ³ng gÃ³p má»t cÃ¡ch hiá»u quáº£. ChÃºng tÃ´i ÄÃ£ kÃ½ má»t thá»a thuáºn vá» Äiá»u nÃ y.
4. QuÃ¡ trÃ¬nh kháº£o sÃ¡t mÃ´i trÆ°á»ng nÃ y nháº±m má»¥c ÄÃch báº£o vá» cÃ¡c khu rá»«ng Äá»a phÆ°Æ¡ng. NÃ³ cÃ³ má»t káº¿ hoáº¡ch chi tiáº¿t Äá» Äáº¡t ÄÆ°á»£c Äiá»u nÃ y.
5. ChÃºng ta cáº§n cáº£i thiá»n cháº¥t lÆ°á»£ng hÃ ng hÃ³a vÃ dá»ch vá»¥ Äá» há» cÃ³ thá» thÃ¢m nháºp vÃ o cÃ¡c thá» trÆ°á»ng má»i.
Circle the correct answer. (Chá»n ÄÃ¡p Ã¡n ÄÃºng.)
1. WTO rules make trade the easiest / easier for smaller member countries.
2. This job offer is more attractive / the most attractive than the previous one.
3. Because of poorly designed packaging, our products are less competitive / the least competitive than foreign products.
4. Over the past few years, Viet Nam has become one of more popular / the most popular destinations for foreign visitors in Southeast Asia.
Guide to answer
1. WTO rules make trade easier for smaller member countries.
2. This job offer is more attractive than the previous one.
3. Because of poorly designed packaging, our products are less competitive than foreign products.
4. Over the past few years, Viet Nam has become one of the most popular destinations for foreign visitors in Southeast Asia.
1. CÃ¡c quy Äá»nh cá»§a WTO giÃºp thÆ°Æ¡ng máº¡i dá» dÃ ng hÆ¡n Äá»i vá»i cÃ¡c nÆ°á»c thÃ nh viÃªn nhá» hÆ¡n.
2. Lá»i má»i lÃ m viá»c nÃ y háº¥p dáº«n hÆ¡n láº§n trÆ°á»c.
3. Do bao bÃ¬ ÄÆ°á»£c thiáº¿t káº¿ kÃ©m, sáº£n pháº©m cá»§a chÃºng tÃ´i kÃ©m cáº¡nh tranh hÆ¡n so vá»i cÃ¡c sáº£n pháº©m nÆ°á»c ngoÃ i.
4. Trong vÃ i nÄm qua, Viá»t Nam ÄÃ£ trá» thÃ nh má»t trong nhá»¯ng Äiá»m Äáº¿n phá» biáº¿n nháº¥t Äá»i vá»i du khÃ¡ch nÆ°á»c ngoÃ i á» ÄÃ´ng Nam Ã.
Write another sentence using the word(s) in brackets. Make sure it has the same meaning as the previous one.
(Viáº¿t má»t cÃ¢u khÃ¡c sá» dá»¥ng cÃ¡c tá»« trong ngoáº·c. Äáº£m báº£o ráº±ng nÃ³ cÃ³ cÃ¹ng Ã½ nghÄ©a vá»i Ã½ nghÄ©a cÃ¢u trÆ°á»c ÄÃ³.)
Example: The ASEAN markets are less competitive than the EU markets. (more competitive)
â The EU markets are more competitive than the ASEAN markets.
1. No place is more popular with foreign visitors than this cify. (the most popular)
2. In many supermarkets, imported goods are not as expensive as locally produced goods. (cheaper)
3. No international organisation is larger than the United Nations. (the largest)
4. In the past, our country wasn’t as active on the intemational stage as it is today.(more active)
Guide to answer
1. This city is the most popular place with foreign visitors.
2. In many supermarkets, imported goods are cheaper than locally produced goods.
3. The United Nations is the largest international organisation.
4. Today our country is more active on the international stage today than it was in the past.
1. ThÃ nh phá» nÃ y lÃ nÆ¡i phá» biáº¿n nháº¥t vá»i du khÃ¡ch nÆ°á»c ngoÃ i.
2. Táº¡i nhiá»u siÃªu thá», hÃ ng nháºp kháº©u ráº» hÆ¡n hÃ ng sáº£n xuáº¥t trong nÆ°á»c.
3. LiÃªn Há»£p Quá»c lÃ tá» chá»©c quá»c táº¿ lá»n nháº¥t.
4. NgÃ y nay Äáº¥t nÆ°á»c chÃºng ta nÄng Äá»ng hÆ¡n ngÃ y xÆ°a.
Using âmore / less / fewerâ, complete the second with the same meaning as the first. (HoÃ n thÃ nh cÃ¢u thá»© hai sao cho nghÄ©a khÃ´ng Äá»i so vá»i cÃ¢u thá»© nháº¥t, sá» dá»¥ng âmore / less / fewerâ.)
1. There were fewer criminal cases in my country 3 years ago than now.
2. There are more wealthy people in big cities than in the countryside.
3. Are there more health centres in my city now than ten years ago?
4. People in developed countries spend more money on health care and education than in the underdeveloped countries.
5. There are less arable land in the city than in the countryside.
1. There are more criminal cases in my country now than 3 years ago.
2. There are fewer wealthy people I the countryside than in big city.
3. Were there fewer healthy centres in my city ten years ago than now?
4. People in the undeveloped countries spend less money on health care and education than in develop country.
5. There are more arable land in the countryside than in the city.